Monday, April 02, 2007

Alcohol legal in Kuwait



In a surprise move aimed at fostering tourism, Kuwait's government announced yesterday that alcohol would be legalised in Kuwait starting May 25 after more than 40 years of prohibition. Alcohol will be available only in five star establishments or at state liquor outlets and sold only to non-Muslim expatriates holding a liquor-consuming ration cards. Each expatriate will be allowed five bottles of liquor or 100 bottles of beer per month at government regulated stores. Any Muslim caught buying or consuming alcohol will face stiff penalties.

In December 1964, Kuwait's government banned all liquor within its borders following a series of drunken driving fatalities, primarily of citizens. Prohibition triggered a flourishing underground bootlegging trade both in smuggled alcohol and bathtub gin.

This past week, international beverage firm Eastern Liquors has won the sole distribution license and will be partnering with local establishments for sales and marketing. EL is a regional leader in beverage distribution, with operations in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha and Manama.

Sources within the security forces told Kuwait Times that a special squad of 225 local police have already undergone training in the United Arab Emirates and Britain for handling drunk drivers. Persons caught driving while intoxicated face up to five years in jail and a KD 10,000 fine.


Happy April Fools’ Day

10 Comments:

Blogger K.thekuwaiti said...

I want to commend you on a original and up-to-date post. It is people like you who make Kuwaiti bloggers what they are today.

Thank you.

2/4/07 12:03 PM  
Blogger White Wings said...

you get me there for a minute
how naive am I?
do you see this happening fo real any time soon?

2/4/07 6:07 PM  
Blogger The Dagger said...

I don't think that that is going to happen in my life time! Are you kidding me! With the kind of Majlis Ummah we have, I don't see how alcohol would be allowed.

2/4/07 11:19 PM  
Blogger Pepsi-guy said...

kthekuwaiti
Welcome to my blog, the description "up-to-date" and "original" don't really fit.

I rarely post anything (that takes away the up-to-date) and this article was stolen from Kuwait Times (and there goes the Originality).

white wings
:) that's the whole idea. And no, I don't see this happening... That's why god blessed us with Bahrain and Dubai :)

the dagger
Welcome, the whole thing is a joke man, why are you so fired up :)

Yes it will never happen in our life time and frankly I'm not sure if I want to see it happen either!!

Don't really have a solid opinion about this issue, not because of religion or anything, just because of the fact that we don't respect the traffic laws and I can imagine the car accident rates going sky high if they allowed alcohol in Kuwait.

3/4/07 9:37 AM  
Blogger Alia said...

Good one

بس خلاص تعودت .. ما قمت أصدقك

3/4/07 9:51 AM  
Blogger Pepsi-guy said...

the dagger
I think I might have deleted your 2nd comment by mistake.

Sorry about that.

4/4/07 8:13 AM  
Blogger Pepsi-guy said...

alia
Why, Did I ever lie??

4/4/07 8:14 AM  
Blogger The Dagger said...

No problem. I just wanted to say tha I forgot about April fools. You got me!

4/4/07 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lo0o00o0oll I was thinkin OMG that’s ridiculous (funny rules) and was goin to call q8 to check if its true or not until I got to the April fool part .. hehehe Funny u got me!!

10/6/07 11:38 AM  
Blogger Pepsi-guy said...

the dagger
That was the plan.... to get you :)

أم النمل
It's good that you continued reading till the end. Otherwise I would have had to pay you back for the long-distance telephone call

15/7/07 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home